1. Uma Raman, Saatviki Gupta, Sara Parker , Nandita Gupta, Arun Kumar Gupta, Chris Duffield, Sourav Ghosh, Stuart Hameroff (2014). Low-intensity ultrasound (US) stabilizes microtubules and promotes neurite outgrowth [in preparation]
2. Sanguinetti, JL, Smith E, Allen JJB, Hameroff, S (2014). Transcranial Ultrasound (TUS) Affects Mood in Healthy Human Volunteers. Brain Stimulation. [in preparation]
- Travis J. A. Craddock, Stuart R. Hameroff, Ahmed T. Ayoub, Mariusz Klobukowski, and Jack A. Tuszynski (2014). Anesthetics act in quantum channels in brain microtubules to prevent consciousness. Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry [in press]
- Craddock J.A. Travis, Friesen D, Mane J, Hameroff SR, Tuszynski JA, The Feasibility of Coherent Energy Transfer in Microtubules (2014) Journal of the Royal Society Interface. [in press]
- Sanguinetti JL, Smith E, Allen John JB, Hameroff S, Human Brain Stimulation with Transcranial Ultrasound: Potential Applications for Mental Health. Bioelectromagnetic and Subtle Energy Medicine, 2nd edition, CRC Press, pp 355-360 [in press]
- Hameroff S, Penrose R. Consciousness in the universe: A review of the 'Orch OR' theory. Phys Life Rev, 2014; Mar 11(1):39-78.
- Hameroff S, Penrose R, Reply to Seven Commentaries on “Consciousness in the Universe: Review of the ‘Orch OR’ theory". Physics of Life Reviews, 2014; 11:94–100.
- Hameroff S, Penrose R, Reply to Criticism of the 'Orch OR qubit' - Orchestrated objective reduction is scientifically jusfiied. Physics of Life Reviews, 2014; 11(1):104-112.
- Consciousness, microtubules, & 'Orch OR': A space-time odyssey, Hameroff S, 2014; The Journal of Consciousness Studies, 21(3-4)126-153.
- 'HOT to DOT’ – A ‘Deeper order thought’ theory of consciousness, S. Hameroff, P. Pylkkanen, R. Gennaro , Chapter 15 in: Brain, Mind, Cosmos: The Nature of Our Existence and the Universe (Sages and Scientists Series Book 1) [Kindle Edition] Edited by Deepak Chopra; 2014.
- Hameroff S, Quantum walks in brain microtubules-a biomolecular basis for quantum cognition? Top Cogn Sci, 2014; Jan; 6(1):91-7.
- Hameroff SR, Quantum mathematical cognition requires quantum brain biology: the "Orch OR" theory. Behav Brain Sci, 2013; Jun; 36(3):287-90.
- Hameroff S, Comment on: Capolupo, Freeman, Vitiello, A tale of two fields: comment on "Dissipation of 'dark energy' by cortex in knowledge retrieval" Phys Life Rev, 2013; Mar;10(1):95-6; discussion 112-6.
- Hameroff S, Trakas M, Duffield C, Annabi E, Gerace MB, Boyle P, Lucas A, Amos Q, Buadu A, Badal JJ. Transcranial ultrasound (TUS) effects on mental states: a pilot study. Brain Stimul, 2013; May;6(3):409-15.
- Hameroff, S, How quantum brain biology can rescue conscious free will. Front Integr Neurosci, 2012; 6:93, Oct 12
- Craddock T, St George M, Freedman H, Barakat K, Damaraju S, Hameroff S, Tuszynski J, Computational Predictions of Volatile Anesthetic Interactions with the Microtubule Cytoskeleton: Implications for Side Effects of General Anesthesia, PLOS One, 2012; June 25
- Craddock Travis, JA, Marc St. George, Holly Freedman, Khaled Barakat, Sambasivarao Damaraju, Stuart Hameroff, Jack A Tuszynski, Computational Predictions of Volatile Anesthetic Interactions with the Microtubule Cytoskeleton: Implications for Side Effects of General Anesthesia, PLoS, 2012; June 25PLoS ONE 7(6): e37251. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0037251
- Craddock TJ, Tuszynski JA, Chopra D, Casey N, Goldstein LE, Hameroff SR, Tanzi RE, The Zinc Dyshomeostasis Hypothesis of Alzheimer's Disease, PLoS One, 2012; March 23 7(3).
- Craddock T, Tuszynski J, Hameroff S., Cytoskeletal Signaling: Is Memory Encoded in Microtubule Lattices by CaMKII Phosphorylation? PLoS Computational Biology, 2012; March 8
- Ebner, M, Hameroff, S., Lateral information processing by spiking neurons: a theoretical model of the neural correlate of consciousness.Comput Intell Neurosci, 2011; Oct 23
- Hameroff SR, Craddock TJ, Tuszynski JA."Memory bytes" - molecular match for CaMKII phosphorylation encoding of microtubule lattices. J Integr Neurosci, 2010; Sep;9(3):253-67.
- Hameroff S. The "conscious pilot"-dendritic synchrony moves through the brain to mediate consciousness. J Biol Phys, 2010 Jan;36(1):71-93.
- Hameroff, SR. The Brain Is Both Neurocomputer and Quantum Computer. Cogn Sci, 2007; Nov 12;31(6):1035-45.
- Consciousness, Neurobiology and Quantum Mechanics: The Case for a Connection, In: The Emerging Physics of Consciousness, edited by Jack Tuszynski, Springer-Verlag, 2007. - link to pdf
- Hameroff SR., Anesthesiology.The entwined mysteries of anesthesia and consciousness: is there a common underlying mechanism? 2006; Aug;105(2):400-12
- Hameroff S, A new theory of the origin of cancer: Centrioles, mitosis and quantum entanglement submitted; 2004.
- Hameroff, SR Whitehead and Quantum Computation in the Brain: Panprotopsychism Meets the Physics of Fundamental Spacetime Geometry, S Hameroff, in Whitehead Process Network Compendium, ed M Weber; 2003.
- Hameroff S, Time, Consciousness and Quantum Events in Fundamental Spacetime Geometry In: The nature of time: Physics, geometry and perception - Proceedings of a NATO Advanced Research Workshop, ed R Buccheri and M Saniga; 2003.
- Hagan S, Hameroff S, Tuszynski J, Quantum Computation in Brain Microtubules? Decoherence and Biological Feasibility, Physical Reviews E, 2002; 65:061901.
- Hameroff S, Nip A, Porter M, Tuszynski J. Conduction pathways in microtubules, biological quantum computation, and consciousness. BioSystems, 2002; 64: 149-168.
- Woolf NJ, Hameroff S. A quantum approach to visual consciousness. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 2001; 5(11): 472-478.
- Hameroff S. Consciousness, the brain and spacetime geometry. Annals New York Academy of Sciences, 2001; 929:74-104.
- Hameroff S. Anesthesia: the “other side” of consciousness (Commentary on the papers of E. Roy John and colleagues). Consciousness and Cognition, 2001; 10: 217-229.
- Hameroff S.R. Quantum computation in brain microtubules? The Penrose-Hameroff "Orch OR" model of consciousness. Philosophical Transactions Royal Society London, 1998; (A)356:1869-1896.
- Hameroff S.R. Anesthesia, consciousness and hydrophobic pockets-a unitary quantum hypothesis of anesthetic action. Toxicology Letters, 1998; 100/101:31-39.
- Hameroff S.R., Penrose R. Conscious events as orchestrated space-time selections. Journal of Consciousness Studies, 1996; 3(1):36-53.
- Hameroff S.R., Penrose R. Orchestrated reduction of quantum coherence in brain microtubules: a model for consciousness? Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, 1996; 40:453-480.
- Hameroff S.R., Penrose R. Orchestrated reduction of quantum coherence in brain microtubules: a model for consciousness? Neural Network World, 1995; 5:793-804.
Publications - CONTINUED
See Attached CV forFull List of Peer Reviewed Publications, Books, Ed, Authored
Nov 17 Biosketch_Hameroff.pdf
Stuart Hameroff's research website: Quantum Consciousness
Stuart Hameroff's Link to PUB MED.gov - Search Terms: SR Hameroff, Stuart Hameroff, Stuart R. Hameroff
BOOKS AUTHORED AND EDITED
1. Hameroff, SR, Ultimate Computing: Biomolecular Consciousness and NanoTechnology, Elsevier-North Holland, Amsterdam (1987)
2. Koruga DL, Hameroff SR, Withers J, Loutfy R, Sundareshan M. C60 Fullerene--From Nanobiology to Nanotechnology. Elsevier-North Holland, Amsterdam (1993)
3. Hameroff SR, Kaszniak AW & Scott AC, (Eds), Toward a Science of Consciousness: The First Tucson Discussions and Debates, MIT Press/Bradford Books, Cambridge, MA (1996)
3. Hameroff SR, Kaszniak AW & Scott AC, (Eds), Toward a Science of Consciousness II: The Second Tucson Discussions and Debates, MIT Press/Bradford Books, Cambridge, MA, (1998)
4. Hameroff SR, Kaszniak AW & Chalmers D, (Eds), Toward a Science of Consciousness III: The Third Tucson Discussions and Debates, MIT Press/Bradford Books, Cambridge, MA (1999)
Roger Penrose, Stuart Hameroff, Henry Stapp, Deepak Chopra, Consciousness and the Universe, Quantum Physics, Evolution, Brain & Mind, Cosmology Science Publishers (2011).
Moreira-Almeida, Alexander, Santos, Franklin Santana (eds), Exploring Frontiers of the Mind-Brain Relationship (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health) Springer (2011).
Hameroff S, "Consciousness, free will and quantum brain biology - The 'Orch OR' Theory", in De Gruyter, (2014) Quantum Physics Meets the Philosophy of Mind. New Essays on the Mind-Body Relation to Quantum-Theoretical Perspective. Ed. by Corradini, Antonella University of Milan and Uwe Meixner, University of Augsburg, Philosophical Analysis Series 56, pp 99-134 (2014).
2014 Bhaumik Foundation - Toward a Science of Consciousness TSC-20th Anniversary Conference
2011 Rustum Roy Award, Chopra Foundation
2011 Institute of Noetic Sciences, TUS Pilot Study
2011 USAF-AFOSR - Toward a Science of Consciousness, 2011 TSC-Stockholm Conference, European Office - Aerospace R-D; Asian Office of Aerospace R&D
2005 YeTaDeL Foundation Award
2003 Samueli Foundation Award for 2003 Quantum Mind conference
1998-2001 Fetzer Institute Award to establish the Center for Consciousness Studies at the University of Arizona
1990-1991 National Science Foundation (NSF) Solitons in biomolecules (Co-PI with Alwyn Scott, PhD)
1982 Pfizer-Roerig - Effects of doxepin on chronic pain
TOWARD A SCIENCE OF CONSCIOUSNESS CONFERENCE SERIES
Co-Chair of the biennial Tucson Conference Series (1994-present) and the alternating overseas TSC with collaborating university and research groups. Tucson, Arizona: 1994, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014 – Overseas; 1995 Ischia, Italy; 1997, Elsinore, Denmark; 1999, Tokyo, Japan; 2001, Skovde, Sweden; 2003, Prague, Czech Republic; 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark; 2007 Vienna, Austria; 2007, Budapest, Hungary; 2009, Hong Kong, China; 2011, Stockholm, Sweden; 2013, Agra, India; 2015 TSC will take place in Helsinki, Finland
Quantum Approaches to understanding the Mind, Flagstaff 1999, Organizer “Quantum Mind 2003: Consciousness, quantum physics and the brain”; 2006
BioSystems, Journal of Consciousness Studies
American Society of Anesthesiologists
Association of University Anesthesiologists
Society for Neuroscience
Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness
- Toward a Science of Consciousness-Helsinki, June 9-13, 2015 Helsinki, Finland
- Neuroscience 2014 SfN-Society for Neuroscience, November 15-19, 2014, Washington, DC - Ultrasound promotes neurite outgrowth-Implications for TBI - U.Raman, S.Parker, C.Duffield, S.Ghosh, *S. R. Hameroff - Nov 18, 2014, 486.07 - Nanosymposium- 486. Traumatic Brain Injury: Therapeutic Strategies I - Nov 18, 2014
- Sages & Scientists, Science and Consciousness Panel, Hameroff, S., Quantum Brain Music: How Molecular Vibrations Make You "Feel All Right", August 23, 2014 Carlsbad, CA
- Redwood Center for Theoretical Neuroscience, Hameroff S.,'Tuning The Brain’–Treating Mental States Through Microtubule Vibrations, June 11, 2014, UC-Berkeley Video
- Toward a Science of Consciousness (TSC) 20th Anniversary, April 21-26, 2014 Tucson, Arizona, Co-Chair TSC
- 2014 TSC Abstracts pdf TSC Website Plenary Video TSC2014 - Plenary Speaker PL 9, Quantum Vibrations in Microtubules - "Orch Or"- 20 Years On, April 25, 2014; M.E.Tegmark, Consciousness as a State of Matter; Stuart Hameroff, Quantum Vibrations In Microtubules - 'Orch Or'-20 Years On; Anirban Bandyopadhyay, Opening "Pandora's Box": Direct Measurement of Microtubule Bundle Resonance in a Live Neuronal Axon Suggests Scale-Invariant Brain Dynamics Extends Inside Neurons Video
- Pre-Conference Workshop: Microtubules and Quantum Biology, April 21, 2014, Roger Penrose, Jack Tuszynski, Travis Craddock, Anirban Banyopadhyay, Stuart Hameroff Quantum Vibrations in Microtubules Support the Controversial Orch OR theory, and Provide a Basis for EEG as ‘Beat Frequencies’ of Intra-Neuronal Dynamics
- Brain Mapping Symposium, April 24, 2014 - The Human Brain Project: Unifying Our Understanding of the Human Brain: Henry Markram, Christof Koch, Anirban Bandyopadhyay, Stuart Hameroff, symposium chair, College of Medicine, Arizona Health Sciences Center, UMC Duval Auditorium, Sponsored by the Center for Consciousness Studies (archived) Brain Mapping Symposium, TSC 2014 - video Brain Mapping Symposium, TSC 2014 - iTunes – Video
- Behind and Beyond the Brain: Mind-Matter Interactions,10th Symposium of the Bial Foundation, March 26-29, 2014, Lisbon, Portugal, Casa do Médico - Porto, S. Hameroff, Keynote, Consciousness, Microtubules and Quantum Nonlocality - The 'Orch OR' theory
- Humanities, Medicine & Wellness Conference - 'Science, Healthcare and Healing' - Feb 28, 2014, University of Arizona, S. Hameroff, moderator and respondent
- The Brainstorm Sessions, January 2014, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Orch OR theory - Microtubules and the Great Debate about Consciousness, The Flemish Arts Centre De Brakke Grond and UvA Amsterdam Brain & Cognition Center (ABC) "Night of the Brain" Penrose, Bandyopadhyay & Hameroff Lezing: Microtubuli & het grote debat over het bewustzijn Programme
- Quantum and Nanosystems Conference, November/December 2013, Dayalbagh Educational Institute, Dayalbagh, India, S.R. Hameroff, Orch OR theory
- Neuroscience, 2013, Society for Neuroscience, November 14, 2013 - San Diego, California
- Transcranial Ultrasound (‘TUS’) an Optimal Non-Invasive Brain-Machine Interface via Microtubules? SR Hameroff, JL Sanguinetti, C Duffield, U Raman, S Ghosh, S Parker, QD Amos, JJB Allen
- Debate on ‘Molecular mechanisms of anesthesia’ Session Title: Do Anesthetics Act on Neuronal Surface Membranes, or Internal Cytoplasm? A Debate on the role of Claude Bernard’s theory for contemporary research into anesthetic mechanisms. Hameroff, S., ‘Claude Bernard is Still Correct: Anesthetics Act in Neuronal Cytoplasmic Interiors’
- American Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting, October 11-15, 2013, San Francisco, CA, S. Hameroff, Debate on ‘Molecular Mechanisms of Anesthesia’ pdf program book
- Sages and Scientists Symposium, August 16-18, 2013, Carlsbad, California, S. Hameroff, ‘Consciousness and the Anthropic Principle’-Video
- Global Future 2045, June 15-16, 2013, New York, S. Hameroff: Microtubules and Quantum Consciousness; R. Penrose: The Quantum Nature of Consciousness
- Interviews with Stuart Hameroff - Video and Sir Roger Penrose –Video
- Catholic University of Milan, Quantum Physics Meets the Philosophy of Mind, June 4-6, 2013, Milan Italy, S. Hameroff, Quantum Physics Meets the Philosophy of Mind, S. Hameroff, R. Penrose, Quantum Physics and Consciousness: The Penrose-Hameroff “Orch OR” Theory
- Toward a Science of Consciousness-Agra, March 2013, Dayalbagh Educational Institute, Agra, India Link to abstracts.pdf - TSC 2013, Agra ; Keynote, S. Hameroff, Workshop, Consciousness in the Universe, Review of Orch OR Theory
- Redwood Center for Theorectical Neuroscience, University of California, Berkeley, January 9, 2013, Stuart Hameroff, Quantum Cognition and Brain Microtubules-Video
- ASSC, July 12-16, 2003, San Diego, Deeper Order Thought Theory of Consciousness
- TedX Tucson, S. Hameroff, The Future of Consciousness, December 12, 2012 –Video
- The 9th Swiss Biennial on Science, Technics and Aesthetics, Lucerne, Switzerland Keynote, S. Hameroff, March 31 - April 1, 2012, "Penrose-Hameroff Orch OR Theory. Current Status, Criticisms and Future Directions -pdf. Programme
- QANSAS 2011, Agra, India, Quantum and Nanocomputing Systems, Quantum and Nano Computing Systems Centre (QANCENTRE), December 1-4, 2011
- Toward a Science of Consciousness, Stockholm 2-8 May, 2011, Link to 2011 TSC Abstracts
- Hameroff, S Meyer-Overton Meets Quantum Physics: Consciousness, Memory and Anesthetic Binding in Tubulin Hydrophobic Channels  - Anesthesia Plenary 13
- TEDx Brussels, 2010 - Do We Have a Quantum Soul, S. Hameroff - Video
- GOOGLE Inc, Lecture at Google Headquarters, Mountain View: A New Marriage of Brain and Computer - Why 'The Singularity" Is Bogus (YouTube) 2010 - Slide Show - "A New Marriage of Brain and Computer", YouTube/GoogleTalksArchive-Video
Requests for interviews
contact: Abi Behar-Montefiore, email@example.com, 520-621-9317; text/cell: 520-247-5785