Banner-University Medical Center Phoenix and Banner-University Medical Center Tucson have each been named to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospital ranking, and nationally recognized for specialty services.
Banner-University Medical Center Phoenix, ranked as the second best hospital in Arizona, is also recognized nationally for geriatrics, nephrology, diabetes/endocrinology and urology services.
In addition to being recognized as the best hospital in southeastern Tucson and the Tucson metro area, Banner-University Medical Center Tucson is ranked nationally for geriatrics, nephrology and pulmonary services.
Now in its 26th year, the annual U.S. News Best Hospitals ranking recognizes hospitals that excel in treating the most challenging patients. The publication showcases more than 720 of the nation’s roughly 5,000 hospitals. Fewer than 150 are nationally ranked in at least one of 16 medical specialties.
“Once again, we are thrilled that Banner-University Medical Center Phoenix has been recognized for its outstanding patient care as a top hospital in Arizona,” said Banner-University Medical Center Phoenix CEO Steve Narang, MD. “As an academic medical center focused on clinical excellence, research and teaching, it is extremely rewarding to be named as one of the best hospitals in the state. This honor is a testament to our dedicated team of experts providing excellence patient care each and every day.”
Five additional Banner Health hospitals in the Valley also have been named in the U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospital ranking.
Specifically, the Banner Health facilities ranked as Best Hospitals include:
• Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix: Ranked second nationally in Arizona and high-performing in cardiology/heart surgery, gastroenterology/GI surgery, obstetrics/gynecology, neurology/neurosurgery, orthopedics and pulmonary care.
• Banner – University Medical Center Tucson: Ranked best in southeastern Arizona, Tucson metro area and No. 3 in Arizona. In addition, high-performing specialties including cancer, diabetes/endocrinology, gastroenterology/GI surgery, obstetrics/gynecology, neurology/neurosurgery, orthopedics and urology.
• Banner Estrella Medical Center in Phoenix: Ranked No. 6 in Arizona and No. 4 in the Phoenix metro area as well as recognized as having two high-performing specialties.
• Banner Gateway Medical Center in Gilbert: Ranked No. 9 in Arizona, No. 6 in the Phoenix metro area and recognized as having a high-performing specialty.
• Banner Thunderbird Medical Center in Glendale: Ranked No. 14 in Arizona, No. 12 in Phoenix metro area with high-performing specialties.
• Banner Desert Medical Center in Mesa: Ranked No. 11 in Arizona, No. 8 in Phoenix Metro and recognized as having a high-performing specialty.
• Banner Heart Hospital in Mesa: Recognized as having a high-performing specialty.
In rankings by state and metro area, U.S. News and World Report recognized hospitals that perform nearly at the level of their nationally ranked peers in one or more specialties, as well as hospitals that excel in multiple common procedures and conditions.
U.S. News and World Report publishes Best Hospitals to help guide patients who need a high level of care because they face particularly difficult surgery, a challenging condition or extra risk because of age or multiple health problems. Objective measures such as patient survival and safety data, adequacy of nurse staffing and other data largely determined the rankings in most specialties.
About Banner Health
Headquartered in Arizona, Banner Health is one of the largest nonprofit health care systems in the country. The system owns and operates 28 acute-care hospitals, Banner Health Network, Banner – University Medicine, Banner Medical Group, long-term care centers, outpatient surgery centers and an array of other services, including family clinics, home care and hospice services, pharmacies and a nursing registry. Banner Health is in seven states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Nebraska, Nevada and Wyoming. For more information, visit www.BannerHealth.com.